The Lovejoy Connection
Starring Ian McShane
The BBC TV hit ‘Lovejoy’ featured many different locations across Suffolk & Essex. Belchamp Hall appeared regularly in the programme as the fictional Felsham Hall.
The popular BBC series ran from 1986-94, about the ‘lovable rogue’ and antiques dealer Lovejoy. Lovejoy is still shown around the world today and has quite an international following.
- Lovejoy’s workshop for the last two seasons of the series is in the grounds of Belchamp Hall
- The Church of St Mary was once featured in an episode when Lovejoy was due to get married.
- The original location continuity boards show the blueprint layouts of ‘Felsham Hall’ in the series
- The original ‘Lovejoy Antiques’ shop sign hangs from the rafters
Lovejoy Filming Locations
- The Half Moon pub in Belchamp St Paul was featured in quite a few episodes.
- The Fox Inn, Finchingfield was featured in the 1992 Christmas special (and the village of Finchingfield was featured in two episodes).
- Hedingham castle was featured in the 1992 Christmas special as a castle in Prague.
- Coggeshall was featured in series four and you may recognise the clock tower.
- Townsford Mill, Halstead is an antiques centre featured in series four.
- Long Melford was featured many times in the show with the interior of The Bull Hotel and many of the antiques shops.
- Belchamp Walter’s St Mary’s Church (just across the road from Lovejoy’s) was featured in the last episode called “Last Tango in Lavenham”.