Location of Belchamp Hall
Belchamp Walter, Suffolk / Essex Border
We are on the Suffolk / Essex border, near Sudbury. Close to Colchester, Braintree, Newmarket, Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich and just 90 minutes from London.
Arriving by Train
- Trains run from Liverpool Street Station to Sudbury (one change at Marks Tey). The journey time approx. 1 hour 15 minutes and Sudbury is just 5 miles from Belchamp Walter.
Directions from London
- Access the M11 from the North Circular (A406) or from the M25 travel north. Exit the M11 at junction 8 (Stanstead Airport).
- At the roundabout take the A120 (signposted to Colchester). Continue for approx. 20 miles over several roundabouts. At the A120 and the Al31 junction Take the A131 to Sudbury.
- Continue along the Al31 for approx. 3 miles until the AlOl7 (signposted Haverhill), which bears off to the left – look out for this turning it’s a small sign.
- Continue on the Al017 for approx. 6 miles. Continue through Sible Hedingham, turn right onto the B1058 to Castle Hedingham.
- Continue along the B1058 through Castle Hedingham .After approx. 2 miles turn left to Guestingthorpe – again look out for this turning, there’s a small red post box on the left side of the road.
- Go through Guestingthorpe and at the village green continue straight over the crossroads to Belchamp Walter (approx. 2 miles).
- Before reaching Belchamp Walter the road bears off to the left up Chapel Hill – don’t follow this, instead continue straight on to Belchamp Walter.
- Turn right at the crossroads in the centre of Belchamp Walter (by the village pond) and continue down the hill for approx. 1 mile.
- At the bottom of the hill take the right hand fork which leads directly to the church of St Mary the Virgin and Belchamp Hall.
Directions from Cambridge / The North
- Exit the M11 at junction 10. Head west on the A505 for approx. 4 miles.
- Turn left onto the A11. After approx. 1/2 mile turn right onto the Al307 towards Haverhill.
- After approx. 5 miles bear right at the roundabout onto the A1017 (Haverhill bypass). Follow this road to Sible Hedingham for approx. 19 miles.
- At Sible Hedingham turn left onto the B1058 to Castle Hedingham. Follow directions from point 5 Above.